Saturday, March 2, 2013

DIY: Tie Headbands


Have you ever felt like you paid way too much for a headband? Or tried to make your own and spent too much money on fabrics? Dana has. And if she were here (and she is), she would tell you to listen up because I have great news for you!
You know what makes fantastic and unexpected headbands? Men's ties.

My dad has a ton that he doesn't wear any more, but I'm sure that he would not appreciate me cutting them up. So instead, Dana and I picked up  some good ones at thrift stores around town. Goodwill seems to be a good one, but sometimes it can get a bit pricey, as far as thrift stores go. Lucky for us, we just keep going on days when they have $1 sales. Everything in the store is only $1. Seriously. Best. Thing. Ever.
Punctuation makes things dramatic-ly emphasized, you know.
I picked up eight different ties in one go!
So naturally, this crafty chica was ready to get to work straight away. (Did I really just call myself a "crafty chica?" Guess so... Hmmm... maybe the extent of my Spanish is not just "taco." Who knew.)

First step: I cut the skinny end of the tie so it was just long enough to tie around my head. (If you cut it a bit too short, there's a piece of white canvas on the inside of the tie that you can take out. It'll give you another half-inch of room or so, depending on how thick the tie is. Just stich the back right on up once you're done, and it's on to Step 2!)
Second step: I like to fold down the end that you cut in a triangle. This way, it kind of mimics the actual end of the tie, the one that you won't do anything with other than maybe cut the materials tag off, if it's even there. Or, if you want to advertise that your tie is 100% silk (and who doesn't love bragging now and then), then by all means, leave the thing on there!
Brag away. I won't tell you what to do. Much.
Third step: Now's when you would sew up that open (now folded) end to the headband. Make it as neat as you like. Sometimes I like to let the stitches show, give it a more handmade feel. Sometimes I make it as neat as I can, just to be a bit more polished.

And voila! Instant headband! Just tie it around your head, and you're ready to par-tay. Tea party that is. Might as well get fancy with it.
If you're feeling super crafty and have some floral wire or even jewelry wire hanging around, you could try putting a wire down the center of the headband (on the inside, of course) to make it super chic and fashionable. And to wear with a bit more ease.

Like I said, I picked up eight of these bad boys at various thrift stores earlier this weekend, and I "converted" all of them to headbands in an hour or two.
So experiment, play around with things, and if you come up with any bright ideas for the other half of the tie, let us know!
Dana might have a treat for y'all later on the tie front,  but I'll try not to spoil things.

Until next time, my dears!

Seven out of eight are chilling on my floor. Next project: storage...





No comments:

Post a Comment